Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Take A Closer Look At Me

People say first impressions are everything,
That what you see if what you get,
So if you dress like a pauper or you dress like a king,
You either live with pride or regret,

Not so I say,
It shouldn't be this way,
To judge a man by his looks,
Would be like vindicating crooks,

Take a look at me,
What do you see?
A face of freckles,
A large pair of spectacles,

A too-big nose and a crooked smile,
Hair so thick it could stretch a mile,
Features seemingly etched in stone,
Looks that basically say "leave me alone",

Listen intently, what do you hear?
Laughter that sounds like it came from a deer,
A voice so boring it could turn paint dry,
Flightless birds to escape would fly,

A character so boring it would almost pass for mature,
About as interesting as a pile of manure,
Jokes spoken like it came from a seer,
Inducing not laughter but instead fear,

If by such values a man is judged,
Then I am but a man walking with a crutch,
But if face value never counts for much,
Why then do I sometimes feel such?

Would you look past the surface into a soul deep within,
To see the person inside my skin,
Past the funny hair-do and dressing style,
Past the blemished face and the weird smile,

Beyond our husks we are but the same,
A soul of identity, a soul with a name,
Why then are we treated differently, are our looks to blame?
Is surgery then the only option, so nature I can tame?

It may be difficult for you to really see,
Granted, my looks doesn't make things easy,
But will you put aside the values that be,
And take a closer look at me?

A child of God, just like you,
A child that God called beautiful,
A child of destiny, whatever His plans be,
A child of His, that's me,

Through trials and failures I have worked through,
By His strength which steers me true,
Wanting to be appreciated for the things I do,
Wanting to be loved, just like you,

Beneath the smiles and the laughter aloud,
Throbs a heart, in pain and in doubt,
Only His love sustains me throughout,
Telling me He loves me, taking me through drought,

A small favour I ask of thee,
But a single request, so you will see,
Will you put aside the perceptions that be,
And take a closer look at me?


P.S: I just felt inspired to write as to how I feel OCCASIONALLY....I am not chronically or even minorly depressed...I know God loves me....and my friends do too... =)





2 comments:

  1. Wow, u ARE a poet!! This piece is lovely!! And so true, how we often judge people by how they look and not who they really are. Blame the influence of Hollywood, Chinese and Korean soap operas =p

    But seriously, u can rhyme! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha....thank you...I try...its mostly just what I feel la..nothing special...just rhyming words... =)

    ReplyDelete